When we utter the word all-rounder, it is inevitable to take Jacques Kallis’s name. He was the best all-rounder of his time, giving service to every team he played with his exceptional batting, bowling, and fielding. South Africa won many matches due to his stupendous effort in every department of the game. Kallis represented South Africa for 19 years (1995-2014) in all three formats and scored over 25000 runs, taking 577 wickets. There are many interesting facts about Jacques Kallis, the Proteas legend, which are unknown to fans. Let’s have a look at them.
Interesting Facts About Jacques Kallis
- Jacques Henry Kallis was born on 16th October 1975 in Western Cape, Capetown.
- Kallis would go to Wynberg Boys High School and also played cricket for them. For his success in international cricket, the school management honored him by naming their school’s ground name after him.
- Jacques Kallis has got few nicknames like Woogie, Jakes, and Kalahari.
- The 45 years old all-rounder made his first-class debut for Western Province in 1993/94. In this event, Kallis has amassed 19695 runs in 257 matches at an astonishing average of 54.10.
- Kallis had a debut to forget in international cricket. He made his first appearance in a test match against England in 1995 but could score only one run. But ended his career with 13289 runs in 166 matches at an average of 55.37.
- Kallis has won the most number of Man of the Match awards in Test, 23.
- The right-hander played his maiden ODI match against England in 1996. Kallis has accumulated 11579 runs and scalped 273 wickets in 366 matches.
- His first big performance came in the 1999 ICC Knockout Trophy. Kallis got the Man of the Tournament award for taking 8 wickets and scoring 165 runs in 3 matches.
- Jacques Kallis is the first bowler to take a five-wicket haul in the ICC Champions Trophy history.
- Kallis has set a unique record of scoring 10000 runs and taking 200 wickets in ODI and Test format.
- Kallis is one of the few players to score more than 2000 runs in Asia and the first player to do so.
- In his 150th Test match, Kallis became the first player to make more than 150 runs. He eventually got out after scoring 224 against Sri Lanka in 2012.
- Kallis hanged his boot from international cricket in 2014.
- In IPL, Kallis played for two teams RCB (2008-10) and KKR (2011-2014).
- KKR won the IPL twice in 2012 and 2014, Kallis was a part of the team on both occasions.
- English County has also experienced the presence of one of the best all-rounders in the world – Middlesex (1997) and Glamorgan (1999).
- Kallis has amassed the most international runs for South Africa across all formats, 25534 runs in 519 games.
- Awards and Accolades
i) ICC Player of the Year-2005
ii) ICC Test Player of the year- 2007 (1210 runs).
- For his greatness in cricket, ICC inducted him into the Hall of Fame in 2020.
- Kallis tied his knot to Charlene Engles in 2019 after dating her for a long time. Their children’s name is Joshua Henry Kallis.
- Kalli’s estimated net worth is $35 million.
- The Proteas legend used to wear jersey number 3.