Gautam Gambhir is one of the best openers of India, who has played all three formats for India. Gauti has played international cricket for 13 years (2003-2016). He has amassed 4154 runs in 58 test matches (104 innings) with an impressive average of 41.95. Gambhir has amazed in his limited over career too, scoring 5238 runs in 147 ODI matches with a commendable average of 39.68. There are some interesting facts about Gautam Gambhir, let’s have a look at these facts.
Interesting Facts About Gautam Gambhir
- Gauti was born to a businessman father (Deepak Gambhir) and housewife mother (Seema Gambhir) on 14th October 1981. But he was raised by his grandparents from the age of 18 days.
- He used to go to Modern School, Delhi and completed his graduation from Hindu College which is affiliated with the University of Delhi.
- Gambhir started cricket at the age of 10. In his childhood, Gambhir used to go to Lal Bahadur Sastri Cricket Academy. His mentors were Sanjay Bhardwaj and Raju Tandon.
- The veteran dependable opener was invited to the National Cricket Academy in 2000 due to his immense talent.
- Gambhir played his first first-class match in 1999. He scored 136 runs in 2 matches, including the highest score of 73.
- Gautam has notched up 15153 runs in 198 first-class matches with a captivating average of 49.35. He has smashed 43 centuries and 68 fifties in his first-class career.
- Gambhir is the first Indian and fourth overall player to score 5 consecutive hundreds in test cricket in the period of 9 months.
- Gauti is the first Indian and 2nd batsman in the world to hit 11 fifties in a row, after Sir Vivian Richards.
- Gambhir has made another record in his name of scoring 300 runs in 4 consecutive test series. He is the 1st Indian and 4th batsman to do it globally.
- From 2008 to 2011 Gambhir was in a golden form. He finished as the highest run-getter in the CB series 2008, 440 runs in 10 matches with an impressive average of 55. In the same year in the test series against Australia, He amassed 463 matches in 3 tests with the highest average of the series 77.17. His 463 was the highest run by any batsman in the series. His stupendous performances assisted him to seal a place in the playing xi in all three formats.
- India tour of New Zealand in 2009 was the best overseas tour of Gautam’s career. He made 445 runs in 3 matches with an incredible average of 89, including a best of 167 in 257 balls at Wellington. In the second innings of the 2nd test match at Napier Gauti scored a match-saving 137 off 436 balls, batted 643 minutes the most by any batsman in the 21st century.
- Gambhir has always been a big-match player for India. In the final of the 2007 T20 World Cup, he smashed 75 off 54 balls against Pakistan. He was also the highest run-scorer for India and the 2nd highest overall in the World cup, 227 runs in 7 matches.
- Gauti showed his heroic in the 2011 World Cup final also by scoring a gutsy 97 off 122 balls after the early departure of Sehwag and Sachin. He also accumulated 393 runs in 9 matches with a fine average of 43.67, which was 2nd highest among Indians.
- KKR bought Gautam Gambhir for a whopping amount of $2.4 million, which made him the most expensive player of IPL at that time.
- Gautam Gambhir has led the Indian team in 6 matches and won all of them from 2010 to 2011.
- Gambhir was imparted the prestigious “Arjuna Award” in 2008.
- In 2019 Gambhir was conferred the esteemed “Padma Shri” award from the Goverment of India.
- Under Gauti’s captainship, Kolkata Knight Riders won IPL twice in 2012 & 2014.
- Gambhir has played 299 List A matches in his career and notched up 10077 runs with an average of 36.91.
- Gambhir became the no 1 test batsman in the ICC ranking in 2009, scoring 727 runs in 5 test matches (9 innings) with a bewitching average of 90.87, the highest test average in that calendar year. In the same year, Gambhir won the ICC test player of the year award.
- Gambhir played his last international match against England at Rajkot on 9th November 2016. He made 29 runs in that test match.
- In 2019 Gautam was elected as a Member of Parliament from East Delhi Constituency for BJP.
Gautam Gambhir’s Career Stats