Gabba stadium is situated in the Woolloongabba city of Brisbane, it is a hub of all sports, which host every kind of sports like Athletics, Football, Baseball, Rugby, Cricket, etc. Gabba is popular for hosting cricket matches and is one of the favorite venues for the players to play, especially for the fast bowlers as it offers good bounce along with pace. Gabba was used as a cricket stadium for the first time in 1895 for a cricket match between the parliament and Press. There are many interesting facts about Gabba, this iconic stadium, let’s have a look at them.
Interesting Facts About Gabba Stadium
- Gabba aka Brisbane Cricket Stadium has a sitting capacity of 42000.
- The head-ground curator of the Gabba ground is Kevin Mitchell Junior.
- The first-ever international match was played in 1931 between Australia and South Africa, it was a test match. Due to heavy rain, the match was washed out.
- The Gabba stadium hosts cricket matches from October to March.
- Gabba Cricket Stadium was the first ground to host a T20 international match.
- The fourth day-night test match was played at Gabba between Australia and Pakistan in 2016, Australia won the match by 39 runs.
- In the Big Bash League, Brisbane Heats use it as its home ground.
- Former Australian captain, Ricky Ponting has amassed the most test runs at this venue, 1335 runs in 26 innings.
- The highest individual score in this ground in tests was Michael Clarke’s 259* against South Africa off 398 balls.
- If we talk about the most number of centuries at Gabba, then Greg Chappel scripts the record with 5 centuries in 11 test innings.
- Among bowlers, spin wizard Shane Warne has taken the most wickets, 66 wickets in 22 test innings.
- Visitors have also loved to play here, ex Blackcaps legend Richard Hadlee grabbed 21 wickets in 6 innings.
- For India, the biggest moment at Gabba was when India defeated Australia at their fortress by 3 wickets due to the heroics of Rishabh Pant (89*& 23). India became the first team to win the Test series in Australia two times in a row.
- In 2000, Gabba hosted 7 Olympics group stage football games.
- The first rugby match was played in Gabba in 1909.
- So far, Gabba has conducted 12 Rugby League test matches.
- Stats say that the team, bowling first at Gabba in the format of the cricket wins the matches most of the time (45.94).
- Australia is hosting the 2022 T20 World Cup, 3 matches will be played at the Brisbane Cricket Ground.
Gabba is Brisbane Cricket Ground, Woolloongabba, Queensland, Australia.
Australia list against West Indies in 1986.
RT Ponting (AUS) made most run in Gabba is 1335 within 1996-2012
Senior Cricket Content Editor at Skyblogs Cricket.
Contact me at email@example.com