One of the best hard hitters to ever play the game, Chris Gayle has always entertained the spectators with his destructive batting. The Lanky Caribbean batsman has smashed the best bowlers around the world recklessly on his day and snatched the game away from them. Gayle has only one way of playing, smacking the bowlers from the first ball. He is so powerful that he hits every ball without moving and sends it out of the stadium. It’s been 22 years since he has been playing in international cricket but his capability hasn’t faded away. Probably this makes him one of the biggest players of any franchise league in the globe. Today we are gonna contemplate some interesting facts about Chris Gayle, the Universe Boss.
Interesting Facts About Chris Gayle
- Christopher Henry Gayle was born on 21st September 1979 in Jamaica, West Indies.
- Gayle is always grateful to Lucas Cricket Club, where he started his cricket career. He said, “If it was not for Lucas, I don’t know where I would be today. Maybe on the streets”. To pay tribute to Chris Gayle, Lucas club has named their nursery after his name.
- Henry Gayle has got plenty of nicknames like “Gayle Storm”, “Universe Boss”, “Six Machine”, etc.
- He made his first-class debut for Jamaica in 1999 at the age of 19. The southpaw has amassed 13226 runs in 180 FC games for the team, including 32 centuries and 64 half-centuries.
- Chris Gayle played his maiden international match against India in an ODI game in 1999, but he could only make 1 run in that match.
- For West Indies, Gayle has accumulated the most ODI runs, 10480 runs in 301 ODIs at a decent average of 37.83.
- Gayle’s 25 hundreds in ODIs is the highest by any Caribbean in One Day internationals.
- The year 2002 was a dream year for Gayle. He notched up 2013 runs, including 4 centuries and 14 half-centuries.
- Many big names have taken part in the ICC Champions Trophy, but Gayle has amassed the most runs in the event with 791 runs in 17 innings.
- Scoring a double century in ODI cricket is a big deal for any batsman. The Caribbean legend has smashed the fastest double century in history against Zimbabwe in the 2015 Cricket World Cup, in just 138 balls.
- Winning an ICC trophy is not in everyone’s destiny. Gayle was a member of the 2004 Champions Trophy-winning West Indian side. He added 139 runs in 4 matches for his country.
- Gayle made his first appearance in the longest format of the game in 1999 against Zimbabwe. His debut was not memorable as he made only 33 runs.
- The entire world generally regards him as one of the best T20 players, but Gayle has equally damaged the bowlers in Test too. Not everyone is aware but he has struck two triple centuries in Test cricket. The first one was against South Africa in 2005 and 2nd double hundred came against Srilanka in 2010 at Galle.
- The Universe Boss is the first player to hit a six in the very first ball of a test match, accomplishing the feat in 2012 against Bangladesh.
- It is amusing that Gayle has played 103 Tests in his career, amassing 7215 runs at an impressive average of 42.13. An aggressive player like him will always be proud of a test career like this.
- The 1st ever T20 International century is in Chris Gayle’s name, he hit the hundred against South Africa in the 2007 T20 World Cup, 117 off 57 balls. With this amazing record, he became the first player to score a century in all three formats.
- In the ICC T20 World Cup history, Gayle has smacked the most number of sixes, 60.
- West Indies has worn the crown of the T20 World Cup twice in 2012 & 2014, Chris Gayle was a part of the team on both occasions.
- Many teams have seen the presence of the swashbuckling batsman. He has played for Kolkata Knight Riders, Royal Challengers Bangalore, Punjab Kings, Worcestershire, Somerset, Melbourne Renegades, Sydney Thunders, Jamaica Tallawahs, Lahore Qalandars, Chittagong Vikings, etc.
- The fact of Gayle’s not getting a bid in the first round of the 2011 IPL auction will blow your mind.
- Gayle owns the record of hitting the fastest century of professional cricket, in just 30 balls against Pune Warriors India in 2013 IPL for RCB.
- On 13th July 2021, Gayle became the first player to score 14000 T20 professional runs.
- Gayle is also eminent for his unique and juicy celebrations on the field. He enjoys every bit of cricket on the ground and never played for records.
- In the matter of helping people, Gayle is also not far. He has established Gayle academy in London and Jamaica to give underprivileged kids quality education, food, and employment.
- Gayle is fond of dancing. He was featured in a track called “Jamaica to India” along with Indian rapper Emiway Bantai, which was released in 2021.
- He tied the knot with Natasha Berridge in 2009. They blessed with a baby girl in 2016 and named her “Blush”.
- Gayle’s jersey numbers were 45 & 301.
- Looking at his lavish lifestyle many fans want to know his net worth, which is estimated to be $31 million.
Chris Gayle’s Career Stats
Senior Cricket Content Editor at Skyblogs Cricket.
Contact me at email@example.com