Indian Premier League or commonly known as IPL is probably the best franchise league in the world. The tournament is not less than any international match as the craze remains the same for the BCCI managed event. What makes the IPL the most popular and the best league in the world, of course, is the lucrative contracts and presence of the best cricketers in the world. So far, 13 seasons of IPL have been carried out, and the 14th season is gonna end in UAE in September. Skyblogs has consolidated Interesting Facts About IPL, which might amuse cricket fans.
Interesting Facts About IPL
- The BCCI founded the IPL with the purpose of stopping ICL organized by ZEE Entertainment Enterprises, which got started in 2007. Contemporary BCCI vice-president Lalit Modi was the man behind the birth of IPL after India’s 2007 T20 World Cup victory.
- Back in 1995, the planner of IPL, Lalit Modi proposed an idea of a 50 over format competition, but the officials of BCCI rejected it. Just think, what would happen if IPL was a 50 over format. There would be less matches and less entertainment compared to the T20 format.
- Royal Challengers Bangalore and Kolkata Knight Riders faced each other in the first-ever match of the IPL. KKR won the first match of the IPL by 140 runs.
- There is one question that arises in the mind of cricket fans: Who faced the first ball of the IPL? The answer is Sourav Ganguly.
- Praveen Kumar bowled the maiden ball of the IPL.
- The first wicket-taker of the IPL is Zaheer Khan, he dismissed Sourav Ganguly in the first match of the 2008 IPL.
- Former Kiwi wicket-keeper batsman, Brendon McCullum has hit the first six and four of the money-making league, it was Zaheer Khan who conceded the boundaries.
- Rajasthan Royals wore the 1st crown of IPL, Australian legend Shane Warne led his team to victory.
- Fans from across the globe follow the marquee Indian tournament, they must be wondering about the first Orange Cap winner of IPL, the player who makes the most runs, wins it. Aussie opener Shaun Marsh was the highest run-scorer in the inaugural edition with 616 runs in 11 innings.
- If we talk about the 1st purple cap holder in IPL, then it was Pakistani swing bowler, Sohail Tanvir, scalping 22 wickets in 11 matches.
- The IPL committee broadcasted IPL matches live on Youtube in 2010.
- When it comes to taking the most catches in IPL, Suresh Raina tops the tally with 104 catches.
- Indian star all-rounder Ravindra Jadeja has affected the most number of run-outs in the history of IPL, 21.
- The most interesting fact about IPL is among 8 teams, Mumbai Indians has won the title 5 times (2013, 2015, 2017, 2019 & 2020).
- Chennai Super Kings is the only franchise that hasn’t changed it’s skipper since its participation in IPL.
- Punjab kings and Delhi Capitals are the only teams to the IPL final once, the rest of the teams have played it multiple times.
- Bowling a maiden over is a very big deal in the T20 format, especially if it’s IPL. Praveen Kumar has registered the most maiden overs in IPL (14).
- Former Indian spin doctor Harbhajan Singh is one of the best spinners of this lucrative league, bowling 1268 dot balls in 160 innings.
- T20 format and six is the best match for any batter. The Caribbean legend Chris Gayle has smacked most number sixes, 357 sixes in 139 innings.
- KKR all-rounder Andre Russell holds the record of having the highest strike rate in IPL. He has a strike rate of 179.29.
- In terms of the best batting average, Indian opener KL Rahul remains first with an impressive average of 46.53.
- The highest run-getter of IPL is Current Indian skipper Virat Kohli, with 6076 runs in 199 games.
- Mumbai Indians and Sri Lankan star Lasith Malinga owns the record of taking the most wickets, 170 wickets in 122 IPL matches.
- Australian swashbuckling opener, David Warner has won the Orange Cap thrice (2015, 2017 & 2019). Isn’t interesting that an overseas player ruling the Indian event. It’s surprising that Indian players have won the Orange Cap four times only.
- Bhuvneshwar Kumar ( 2016 $ 2017) and Dwayne Bravo (2013 & 2015) have had the privilege to win the purple Cap twice in the history of IPL.
- The milestone of scoring the most number of fifties in IPL is held by David Warner, the southpaw has fifty 50s in 1148 games.
- The “Universe Boss” Chris Gayle has hit the highest number of centuries in IPL (6). Virat Kohli is only one century away to equal this record.
- Aggressive fast bowler Dale Steyn has bowled the most dot balls (211) in a single season, he achieved the feat in 2012 representing Sunrisers Hyderabad.
- Taking a 5 wicket haul in a T20 match is a matter of pride, Aljarri joseph got 6/12 against SRH in 2019 IPL, which is the best bowling figure by a bowler.
- Indian veteran leg spinner has taken the most hat-tricks in IPL (2008, 2011 & 2013).
- Currently, Rashid Khan has the best economy rate in IPL (6.23). Spin wizard Anil Kumble comes in the 2nd spot on the basis of the best economy.
- People are always interested in the highest run-scorer in a single season in IPL, they will be thrilled to know Indian & RCB captain owns the record, amassing 973 runs in 16 matches, including four 100s.
- Chennai Super Kings all-rounder, Dwayne Bravo has grabbed the most wickets in a single IPL season, 32 wickets in just 18 matches with a BBF of 4/32.
- CSK is the only team in the IPL, which has reached the final 8 times out of 11 seasons and lost the finals most times too (5 times).
- If we talk about winning matches, then CSK is the boss. They have tasted victory, 111 wins out of 186 matches with a win percentage of 59.68.
- Punjab Kings has the lowest win percentage, 44.44.
- Winning a Man of the Match is what a player desires. Proteas and RCB star AB DE Villiers has bagged the Man of the Match award most times in IPL history (23).
- Scoring out on zero is a bizarre record one can have, Harbhajan Singh and Parthiv Patel has 13 ducks, which is the highest by any player in IPL.
- Prayas Ray Barman is the youngest player to play IPL at the age of 16 years and 157 days against Sunrisers Hyderabad.
- On the other hand, Brad Hodge is the oldest cricketer to play an IPL match. At 45 years and 92 days, Hodge played his last match for KKR.
- The most expensive IPL player in the history of the Indian Premier League is Chris Morris, Rajasthan Royals bought him for INR 16.25 cr in the 2021 auction. The 2nd most expensive player is Yuvraj Singh, he was bought by Delhi Daredevils for INR 16 cr.
- The estimated valuation of the IPL is above INR 45000 cr.
43. In a match against Royal Challengers Bangalore in 2015, Kieron Pollard was sledging Chris Gayle so the on-field umpire issued a warning to him, therefore Pollard put a tape on his mouth for the rest of the match.
44. One of the most interesting facts fans want to know is about the cricketer who has hit most sixes in an innings. Gayle hit 17 sixes in his inning of 175* runs off 66 balls against Pune Warriors India in 2013.
45. Due to allegations of match-fixing, Chennai Super Kings and Rajasthan Royals were banned for 2 years (2016 & 2017).
46. KL Rahul has scored the fastest half-century of IPL in 14 balls against Delhi Capitals in 2018.
47. Among Indians, Amit Mishra tops the list on the basis of taking the most wickets, 166 wickets.
48. The ace batsman from Delhi, Virat Kohli is the only player who has always played for one franchise, Royal Challengers Bangalore (2008-present).
In the future, we will add more Interesting Facts About IPL.
Mumbai Indians has won the IPL most number of times, 5.
Royal Challengers Bangalore and Punjab Kings have not won the IPL yet.
Virat Kohli has scored the most runs in IPL, 6076 runs.
Lasith Malinga has taken the most wickets in IPL, 170 wickets in 122 matches.
Dhoni has accumulated 4669 runs in 186 games in IPL.