One of the best fast bowlers of India as far as test cricket is concerned, Ishant Sharma has been magnificent in overseas test matches. Ishant steams in at an average pace of 135 km/hr, bowls perfect inswing deliveries to get the batsmen out. For the left-handers, he can take the ball away from the body to produce a peach of a delivery. Although Ishant has not been seen in blue jersey often but definitely an indispensable part of the Indian Test side. On the occasion of his 33rd birthday, read some interesting facts about Ishant Sharma.
Interesting Facts About Ishant Sharma
- Ishant Sharma’s date of birth is 2nd September 1988. He was born and brought up in Delhi.
- Fans often talk about the height of the right-arm pacer, his height is 6ft 4 inches.
- For his huge height, his teammates call him “Lambu”.
- Ishant made his first-class debut for Delhi at the age of 18 in the 2006-07 season.
- The greatest fast bowler of all time, legend Glenn McGrath is Sharma’s idol.
- Before being a part of the senior Indian team, Ishant Sharma played three youth tests and six youth ODI for the U-19 India, which tour England and Pakistan in 2006. Indian skipper Virat Kohli was also in that team.
- Ishant made his first appearance in international cricket against Bangladesh, he bagged only 1 wicket in the match.
- One of the best spells of Ishant’s career is the nine overs spell against Ricky Ponting in 2008 at Perth, where Sharma troubled the Aussie captain with his impeccable inswingers. Eventually, Ponting nicked a ball to Rahul Dravid at 1st slip.
- Ishant is the 2nd highest wicket-taker among Indian fast bowlers, 311 wickets in 104 Tests.
- Among 11 fifers in the test, Ishant took most of them outside India.
- Performing exceptionally well at iconic Lord’s is every fast bowler’s dream. Ishant’s career-best 7/74 came on the same venue against England in 2014.
- In India’s 2 out of 3 Lord victories, Ishant was in the playing xi. He contributed with 7 wickets and 5 wickets apiece in both victories.
- Alastair Cook is considered as one of the best openers to ever play test cricket, amassing 12472 runs in 161 matches. The veteran pacer from Delhi has dismissed him 9 times in his career.
- Ishant Sharma played his maiden ODI match against South Africa in 2007. But Sharma’s ODI career is not as great as Test. He has scalped 115 wickets in 18 ODIs. BCCI never gave him a place in the team in World Cups. But Sharma was instrumental in winning the 2013Champions Trophy, bagging 10 wickets in 5 matches.
- Initially, Ishant came into the limelight for bowling fast, his fastest delivery was 152.2 km/hr, which he clocked against Australia in the Boxing Day Test at Melbourne in 2011.
- India’s one of the most famous ODI tournament victories are the 2008 CB series win, Ishant grabbed the most wickets in the series, 14 wickets.
- Ishant Sharma was the most expensive bowler of the 2008 IPL, KKR bought him for a handsome amount of $950000.
- Ishant Sharma is a decent tailender too. In the 2010 Mohali test against Australia, India was 8 down for 124 runs and needed 94 runs to win. Ishant along with VVS Laxman fabricated an 81 runs partnership for the 9th wicket. India won the match by 1 wicket at the end. Sharma made 31 runs off 92 balls.
- In 2018, Ishant played for reputed County Cricket Club Sussex.
- Sharma got married to Pratima Singh in 2016, who is a national-level Basketball player.
- Ishant Sharma’s jersey number is 1.
- His estimated net worth is $15 million.
Senior Cricket Content Editor at Skyblogs Cricket.
Contact me at email@example.com