One of the best batsmen of the current generation Joe Root has made his name in international cricket through his technical, determined, dependable batting across all formats. Initially, he started as an opener and occasional off-spinner but ended up being the backbone of the England cricket side. He is a batsman who can perform under pressure, rescue his team from a pressure situation. Root is one of the few players in the globe who is always a topic to discuss for cricket fans. Still, there are some interesting facts about Joe Root that will put you in awe.
Interesting Facts About Joe Root
- Joseph Edward Root was born on 30th December 1990 in Dore, Sheffield to Helen and Matt Root.
- Cricket is in Root’s family’s blood. His grandfather used to captain Rotterdam in the Yorkshire League and his father also played for the Sheffield Collegiate Cricket. His younger brother Billy Root is also a professional cricket, plays for Glamorgan County Cricket Club.
- Root would go to King Ecgbert School and later joined Worksop College at the age of 15, getting a sports scholarship.
- Root’s nicknames are “Joe”, “Shorty”, and “The Golden Child”.
- Joe Root made his professional cricket debut for the Yorkshire 2nd xi against Derbyshire in 2007 and scored 57 runs. After some time, he played for Yorkshire first xi against Essex in the Natwest Pro40 League, he excelled there too with a fantastic 63.
- Root played in the 2008 U-19 World Cup for England. But he didn’t have a great time with the bat, could amass only 138 runs in 6 matches, England finished the event in 8th place.
- Joe Root played his first international match in a Test match against India in 2012 and impressed everyone with his well-made 73 runs. We are all aware of how good he has been as a test cricketer, with 8887 runs in 106 matches at an average of 49.09.
- Root is the third-highest run-getter (8887) for England in the test, toiling 13 runs behind from Graham Gooch to take the No 2 spot.
- Joseph Root made his debut in all three formats against India.
- The Ace batsman is the first English batsman to make ten consecutive 30+ scores in ODIs.
- During the Ashes 2013, he was drinking at a bar in Birmingham at 2.30 am, David Warner punched him on his face and got banned for the rest of the series.
- Root got the “Wisden Cricketer of the Year” award in 2014.
- Joe root has accumulated 3rd most runs after 25 test matches, only Rahul Dravid and Brian Lara have more than him after 25 test matches.
- England won their first World Cup in 2019. Root was a part of the English side, ended the tournament being the 5th most run-getter (556 runs in 12 games).
- Despite being a great batsman, Root has never been a part of IPL, as no IPL franchise showed interest in him.
- In 2018-19, Root played for Sydney Thunder in the Big Bash League.
- Joe Root is currently a part of the revolutionary 100 balls tournament called “Hundred”. He plays for Trent Rockets in the competition.
- Root married his longtime girlfriend Carrie Cotterell in 2018. They have two children together.
- His estimated net worth is $3 million.
- Root wears 66 number jersey in international cricket.
Senior Cricket Content Editor at Skyblogs Cricket.
Contact me at email@example.com