Whenever we will talk about wicket-keeping, we have to mention Wriddhiman Saha’s name. Wriddhiman has to fight tooth and nail to seal his name on the Indian national side. He came in international cricket as a cover of keepers like MS Dhoni, Dinesh Karthik, etc. Patience is the attribute that has played a key role to shape Saha’s career. Even after playing so long, he has to make way for the youngsters in the team. But throughout his career, Saha has always tried to excel in his batting and keeping. Let’s have a look at the interesting facts about Wriddhiman Saha – “The Superman of Wicket-keeping”.
Interesting Facts about Wriddhiman Saha
- Wriddhiman Prasanta Saha was born in Siliguri, West Bengal on 24th October 1984.
- The 37 years old has got a few nicknames like- Papali, Superman, etc.
- Wriddhiman represented Bengal in the U-19 and U-22 levels before making it to the senior state-level team. He made his List A debut in the 2006-07 seasons against Assam.
- Saha had a dream start in his first-class career, smashing 111* against Hyderabad. He became the 15th player to hit a ton on debut for Bengal.
- Wriddhi’s magnificent performance rewarded him with an IPL contract, home franchise Kolkata Knight Riders signed him for the opening season.
- After a good IPL stint with KKR, Saha got a place in the India A side which played 3 matches against Israel. Saha made an unbeaten 85 in the third match.
- As a backup of Dinesh Karthik, BCCI added Saha in the Indian unit for the home test series against South Africa. Following the injury of veteran VVS Laxman and Rohit Sharma, Wriddhi donned the test jersey for the first time in test cricket. He made a duck in the first innings but 35 in the second innings.
- In the 2011-12 Vijay Hazare Trophy, Wriddhiman Saha amassed the most runs, 395 runs in 7 matches.
- The right-hand wicket-keeper batsman won his first Man of the Match award at his home ground Eden Gardens in 2016 against New Zealand, making 54* and 58* in both innings.
- The Bengal star holds the record of making the fastest century in domestic cricket in just 20 balls against the BNR club in the Kolkata 1st Division league. Saha slammed 14 sixes and 4 fours in that match.
- In the 2014 IPL final against Kolkata Knight Riders, Wriddhiman Saha became the 1st player to hit a century in an IPL final (49 balls).
- Saha’s ODI career is not so impressive, scoring only 41 runs in 9 games.
- The ace keeper has not been featured in any T20 internationals for India.
- Wriddhiman Saha will play the IPL 2022 for the newly induced franchise Gujarat Titans.
- In February 2022, Wridddhiman Saha was axed from the Indian squad for the Test series against Sri Lanka. Saha was disappointed due to a lack of reasons from BCCi. Afterward, a journalist approached him for an interview but saha refuse to give it and the journalist threatened him not to invite him for any interview anymore. Angry Saha posted it on social media and controversy erupted. However, Saha did not reveal the name of the journalist despite BCCI’s insistence.
- Saha’s estimated net worth is $6.7 million.
- Wriddhi got married to Romi Mitra in 2011, they have a daughter together called Anvi Saha.
- Wriddhiman Saha’s jersey number is 6.