Srilankan all-rounder Thisara Perera hanged his boots from international cricket on 3rd May 2021 via his social media handle. Perera’s international career was of 12 years (2009-2021). The all-rounder from Colombo, has presented Sri Lanka in 166 ODI matches and scored 2338 runs & taken 175 wickets. He has amassed 1204 runs and grabbed 51 wickets in 84 T20s for his nation.
Perara has disclosed that he will no longer play international cricket but will continue playing franchise cricket. He added-” I take pride in the fact that I was able to represent Sri Lanka in seven cricket World Cups, and be a contributing member of the 2014 T20 World Cup win against India. Easily the highlights of my life.”
Interesting facts about Thisara Perera
- Thisara was a part of the 2014 T20 World Cup winning Srilankan team. Perara hit the winning runs in the final, making 23* off just 14 balls. Sri Lanka won their first ever ICC event after the 2002 Champions Trophy.
- The southpaw has played for 15 franchises so far in franchise cricket in India, Bangladesh, Australia, England, West Indies, and Pakistan.
- Perera has represented Sri Lanka in 7 cricket World Cups (2010,2011,2012,2014,2015,2016,2019).
- Thisara played under-19 World Cup for Sri Lanka in 2008 along with Dinesh Chandimal. India conquered the 2008 U-19 World Cup.
- Not everybody knows but Thisara Perera has played 6 test matches and scored 203 runs with a highest score of 75 and bagged 11 wickets.
- Thisara Perera is the 2nd bowler after Brett Lee to take hat-tricks in both ODI and T20s. he registered his T20 hat-trick against India at Ranchi in 2016. The ODI hat-trick was taken in 2012 against Pakistan at Colombo.
- Perera’s nickname is “Panda”.
- He played for Punjab Kings (2020,2015,2014), Chennai Super Kings (2010), Mumbai Indians (2012), Rising Pune Supergiant (2016), Kochi Tuskers Kerala (2011), Sunrises Hyderabad (2013) etc. in IPL.