Mithali Raj, often affectionately known as the “Lady Sachin”, is a former Indian women cricketer and one of the most successful women’s cricket captains India has ever had. Having represented India in all formats of the game, the superstar batter is the highest run scorer in women’s international cricket and also the only player in women’s cricket to have scored more than 7,000 runs in ODI matches. In this aticles we have curated some interesting facts about Mithali Raj which are really worth reading.
With numerous unimaginable records under her belt during a career span of almost 23 years, Mithali has earned a spot as one of the greatest cricketers the world has seen in the history of the game. Her immense contributions for her country have had her awarded with the prestigious Arjuna Award in 2003, the Padma Shri in 2015 and the Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna in 2021.
Interesting Facts about Mithali Raj
Let’s take a look at some of the Lesser Known Facts about Mithali Raj :
- As a child, the Bharatnatyam dance form had Mithali interested and she even used to attend Bharatanatyam training.
- To provide a routine to her day, Mithali’s father used to send her to the cricket academy her brother attended in Secunderabad and it was there, that the coach saw the talented child knocking the balls with great technique and referred her to a senior coach.
- Raj made her ODI debut as a 16 year old and scored a century; it still is a record for the youngest woman cricketer to score a hundred and she was 16 years and 250 days old at the time.
- Mithali is the only Indian cricket captain, male or female, to lead the team to 2 ODI World Cup Finals. A feat she achieved in the years 2005 and 2017.
- Mithali was the 56th women cricketer to represent India in Test as well as ODI cricket while her T20I Cap number was 9. She donned a Jersey with the number 3 on her back.
- With 7,805 ODI runs, she is the only woman cricketer with more than 7,000 ODI runs and also holds records for the most capped player in WODIs with 232 appearances and the most fifties in the format with 64 half centuries to her name.
- Mithali Raj became the youngest Captain of the Women’s Cricket team of India at the age of 21 years and 4 days.
- Mithali was not dismissed for a duck for 7 consecutive years from 2000 to 2007.
- Mithali is an avid book reader and has been spotted with a book in her hand even before she walks out to bat a number of times.
- Raj has a net worth of around 5 million dollars; her major earning sources being cricket and advertisement deals.
- In 2006, it was under her captaincy that Team India won a test series in England for the first time.
- She is the fastest Indian cricketer, male or female, to reach the 2,000 runs mark in T20 internationals.
- She is also the first female cricketer to win the Wisden India Cricketers of the Year recognition. She received it in April 2015.
- Between her domestic cricket career from the year 1996 to 2022, Raj has represented Andhra Pradesh, Air India and Railways Cricket teams; railways being the team which she served for the longest time.
Mithali Raj is truly a great of the game and is responsible for India’s name being echoed in Women’s cricket at the international stage. A number of current Indian women cricketers consider her a role model and a reason behind them picking up the bat. A legend in the truest sense, Mithali’s legacy will continue to inspire generations to come.
Cricket Content Writer at SkyBlogs cricket.
Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org